Monday, April 23, 2007

Ball Four Excerpt of the Week


Reading through some article on ESPN.com I came across some quote stating that "you aren't a baseball fan until you've read Ball Four by Jim Bouton." So what did I do? I went out and bought the book. And that quote was right, because this book is basically Catcher in the Rye for baseball fans. Bouton played in the major leagues with the Yankees, and various other teams. This book is basically a no BS account of his playing days. Today's excerpt is Bouton describing his mixed feelings about one time teammate Mickey Mantle:

I once invested a dollar when Mantle raffled off a ham. I won, only there was no ham. That was one of the hazards of entering a game of chance, Mickey explained.

I got back by entering a fishing tournament he organized and winning the weight division with a ten-pounder I'd purchased in a store the day before. Two years later Mantel was still wondering why I'd only caught that one big fish and why all the other fish that were caught were green and lively while mine was gray and just lay there, staring.

I also remember the time I won my first major-league game. It was a shutout against the Washington Senators in which I walked seven guys and gave up seven hits and had to pitch from a stretch position all game. They were hitting line drives all over the place and Hector (What a Pair of Hands) Lopez bailed me out with about four leaping catches in left field. When the game was over I walked back into the clubhouse and there was a path of white towels from the door to my locker, and all the guys were standing there, and just as I opened the door Mickey was putting the last towel down in place. I'll never forget him for that.
...
On the other hand there were all those times when he'd push little kids aside when they wanted his autograph, and the times when he was snotty to reporters, just about making them crawl and beg for a minute of his time. I've seen him close a bus window on kids trying to get his autograph. And I hated that look of his, when he'd get angry at somebody and cut him down with a glare.
...
And I don't like the Mantle that refused to sign baseballs in the clubhouse before the games. Everybody else had to sign, but Little Pete forged Mantle's signature. So there are thousands of baseballs around the country that have been signed not by Mickey Mantle, but by Pete Privite.

Like everybody else on the club I ached with Mantle when he had one of his numerous and extremely painful injuries. I often wondered, though, if he might have healed quicker if he'd been sleeping more and loosening up with the boys at the bar less. I guess we'll never know.
...
I remember one time he'd been injured and didn't expect to play, and I guess he got himself smashed. The next day he looked hung over out of his mind and was sent up to pinch-hit. He could hardly see. so he staggered up to the plate and hit a tremendous drive to left field for a home run. When he came back into the dugout everybody shook his hand and leaped all over him, and all the while he was getting a standing ovation from the crowd. he squinted out at the stands and said, "Those people don't know how tough that really was."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great hitter, but he was an asshole. Plain and simple. There are a lot of players out there nowadays that fit into that catergory.

Heather said...

Nicely put Melanie!

Anonymous said...

Wow...what a guy....

Damon said...

Mom,
So mom did you know this already?

Anonymous said...

Yep!