Sunday, April 15, 2007

After Jackie

60 years ago today, Jackie Robinson played his first game as a major league ballplayer. He was the first black player in the MLB - he was the first in any sport. Before Rosa Parks, before MLK - this was a big deal. I hope some of you got the chance to catch the coverage of Jackie Robinson Day on ESPN today. It's definitely nice to see that sometimes sports are more than just the game.

Check out some of these related links:
Jackie Robinson Day Photo Gallery
Jackie Robinson Foundation Website
Robinson Cano ESPN Magazine Article

HAPPY JACKIE ROBINSON DAY!!!

5 comments:

Damon said...

His wife was really cute when she was on air tonight

Damon said...

oh and that cano article didn't have anything to do with Jackie Robinson other than his name.

Heather said...

Yeah, basically.

Rachel Robinson was really cute, but I also really liked listening to Hank Aaron talk. I think he's the kind of old guy you could just sit and listen to for hours.

Damon said...

I think it's funny that he went to dodger stadium on jackie robingson day but he's not going to be there when barry breaks his record.(I hope barry doesn't break the record but it's probably inevitable.

Heather said...

I've been brainstorming circumstances that could stop Barry from breaking it, but am not coming up with much...

I think he would wheel himself out there in a wheelchair and try to hit jacks if he had to.

Right on for Hank not to be there for it!