Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Eye Update: Corneal Abrasion and Erosion

Unfortunatly, last week I had a horrible relapse of the eye injury that I chronicled a little while ago. This time I decided that enough was enough, and I made an appointment with the neighborhood opthamalogist.

After hearing my story, the Dr. quickly diagnosed me with Corneal Erosion, which as you will read in my educational flyers is a condition that originates from the Corneal Abrasion. Before I knew it he was squirting some "numbing" eye drops in the old peeper and coming at me with a pair of forceps. He proceeded to peel away all of the loose skin on my cornea and then scrape around in the hopes of encouraging a better heal. Oh sheesh. Talk about traumatic. The last step was putting in a non-corrective contact to act as a band-aid over the eye wound. I also have a really great aluminum eye sheild that I have to tape on my face at night so that I don't accidentally disrupt the healing process. I am now the poster child for the dangers of eye erosion. (Click on images to enlarge & learn more about corneal abrasion & erosion)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heather...this sounds like the microfracture technique of the cornea. What is the prognosis after such a procedure? Hopefully you're not out for as long as Greg Oden.

Heather said...

I tried to get the Doc to give me the prognosis, but he was evasive....which, come to think of it probably isn't the greatest sign.

I go back next tuesday, and if this didn't work then they are going to stab my eyeball with needles to try to further stimulate the healing. Sounds excellent. And if that doesn't work, then I might need laser surgery. But I'm trying not to think about those options.

In better news, I saw a different Doc in the office for a check-up on Tuesday and she enthusiastically said that she thought it "looked great" and that I was going to "do very well" I like the sounds of that better.