Friday, October 03, 2008

Ohhhhhh, ooooooohhhhh, Growing Up

That's a Springsteen reference in the title if you were wondering. Oh come on, watch the link...you know you want to...2:00 mins in, check it out, if you can't enjoy that, you can't enjoy anything.

In a subject completely unrelated to Springsteen: You know those moments when you have to pause and realize "I am Old." How about this one? You're flipping through your ipod and come across a song that used to be an old favorite, one that you had heard hundreds of times before and never taken issue with. But for some reason this time through the uncensored lyrics are so vile and jarring that you are forced to flip to the next song, and vow to promptly removed it from your itunes. Does this ever happen to anyone else? The older my ears get the less able they are to filter out offensive lyrics and allow me to appreciate an otherwise catchy song. I'm pretty sure this is the same condition that causes parents to pick out the one single curse word in any song, and then tell you that you shouldn't be listening to such garbage.

Got any moments that have recently caused you to face your ever climbing age? Post 'em up.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm just glad I'm not the only one. A year or two ago I made the decision to stop listening to hip hop because I don't agree with the lyrics and message most of the time. I've decided that I won't support artists with inappropriate messages. I'm like the 80 year old man who does things for the "principle" of it.

And I miss out on a lot of catchy tunes in the process!

Heather said...

See I haven't gone that far yet, but I'm definitely on my way. You should get your ears checked out - you might have a pre-maturely aged eardrum.

Al the Gal said...

Brilliant observation on the latent ability of parents to zero in on any and all swear words! Cracked me up! I only notice when I'm listening to Elizabeth's music with mom in the car - I notice it so mom doesn't have to.

Still enjoying most of my old music, but that's probably because it was all oldies and the Beatles to begin with - not much hip hop in my music past. :)

Anonymous said...

How about feeling old when you are walking around campus? I swear I look like an old fogey when I'm on campus. And the students tend to irritate me...kind of like how high schoolers did when we were in college.