Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Inside the Mind of a Bumper Sticker Connoisseur

Ever since my bumper sticker obsession started, there have been some burning questions that had been haunting my every waking moment, and even some dreams. Okay, that's an exaggeration, but I really had been wondering about some things. You know general bumper sticker etiquette, how long is too long to rock a presidential bumper sticker? how do the serious bumper sticker aficionados out there decide what makes the cut and gets on their car? Lots questions people!!! Well, as luck would have it, Damon hooked me up with just the person to answer my questions. His co-worker Kimber. So without further ado - 6 burning questions with a bumper sticker veteran.

1) Introduce yourself and give us an idea of how you got involved in the world of bumper stickers:

I'm Kimber, I got my first bumper sticker a few years ago (it was on my Mazda 626) It said "Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History." I thought it was clever so when I sold the car I bought the same sticker and put it on the new one.

2) How does a bumper sticker veteran/connoisseur such as yourself decide which stickers make the cut and end up on your car?

It has to say something about me. I currently have 3 stickers on my car: "Well Behaved..." "Women Veterans; It's all about the Chicks" and "Veterans for Obama"

3) Favorite bumper sticker that you have on your car? Favorite sticker that you've seen on another car?

"Well-Behaved Women" is my favorite. One sticker that I thought was funny was "If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?" I used to have "A woman's place is in the House, the Senate, and the Oval Office" but I took it off when Hillary was running since I was an Obama supporter (I didn't want to send mixed messages). I liked the IDEA of a woman president but not THAT woman.

4) Displaying the sticker of a presidential candidate is a slippery slope, do you ever get any flack from random people who disapprove of your politics? What is your reaction?

I've never been negatively approached by anyone because of the bumper-stickers. I think for the most part people are pretty respectful of differing opinions. Even though I can't imagine why anyone would support John McCain, it's their right to do so.

5) How will you know when it's time to take off your Obama sticker? After the election? If he wins does it stay? If he loses does it go? What if he were to become a 2 term president? Would it last 8 years? Will you keep it for the life of the car? The people want to know.

Nope, the "Veterans for Obama" sticker is coming off November 5th. Well, definitely by inauguration day. When he runs for his second term in 4 years, I'll get a new sticker.

6) I saw a pick-up over the weekend with a 'W' 04 sticker, I gotta admit,
at this point that's pretty obnoxious. Do you ever worry that you'll become "that guy"?

I will never, EVER, become "that guy."
I think that sums it up, people who rock bumper stickers take great care in what they choose to represent on their ride. But to all those bumper sticker loving, presidential candidate supporting Americans out there - take a lesson from Kimber and exercise some responsibility with your auto adhesive. Don't let me catch you rocking your Gore/Lieberman sticker in 2008.

1 comment:

Damon said...

high five Kimber