Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Puppy Crisis

Long story short - Ollie started limping sporadically last week. Zeb and I freaked out. Ollie continued about his business and thought we were crazy for making such a big deal about it, but continued limping sporadically. I almost got an ulcer worrying about the guy, so we took him to the Vet. Apparently they think he has a subluxing knee cap. Yeah, I know. I would get a gimp dog with an orthopedic issue. Really!?
The Vet recommended Ollie go on a strict plan of rest, no running, no jumping. Which, I'll have you know are about the only things Ollie does on any consistent basis. It's been hell. The little guy is going crazy and so are we. So far the improvements have been...less than impressive. But we're not even halfway through the recommended period of rest (2 weeks!?) I realize that I am the worst patient/parent of a patient ever because all I want is an instant fix. I spend probably 70 hours a week convincing athletes that "there is no magic fix, it takes time and commitment to your treatment plan", but what do I want? Oh I want an instant fix. And I want it now.

7 comments:

Heather said...

By the way - that's Ollie getting some rest in our closet, which is one of the only places in the house that Ollie can't run, and there isn't anything for him to jump on in there.

Doesn't he look pathetic?

Melanie said...

Poor puppy!Damon told me about his leg. I noticed the other day when we were there that he was walking funny. Poor guy! He does look pathetic.

By the way, he was excellant with my granddaughter the other day. He gave her a whole bunch of kisses. It was cute!

Coach Scanson said...

Poor lil Ollie, he does look pathetic. How are you coping? Alcohol?

I also really enjoy the tag of "Shitastic"

Al the Gal said...

Damn, I was almost completely sure you were overreacting. Sorry. I hope he's okay. He doesn't look like he enjoys the closet.

Time for that pet insurance, eh?

Heather said...

So I clicked on the label just to recall what things I've deemed "shit-tastic" since starting the blog. Pretty right on.

Yeah, we're right at the halfway mark in his forced rest, but not sure if it's making any real difference, except he's getting pretty nutty.

charles said...

marley, p's girl's dog has the same sublexing problem in his back knee. thats probably why he wasnt stoked on ollie jumping all over him.but anyway you remember how much i love ollie? i pulled the the stringy thing out when he was tryin to poop, you know any other uncle's that are that down?love you

Heather said...

I thought they said Marley had arthritis?