Monday, April 14, 2008

"The Office" Monday

Well, what to say? There was a lot of build up, and somehow it didn't quite match my expectations. There were definitely funny parts, but all in all I think my take away message is "Get back to the office!!!" The show started out about those crazy office dynamics and the strange characters that every office inevitably has. The whole Jan & Michael relationship makes me really awkward & I'm over it. Michael Scott deserves better! But there were still some great moments, such as:
  • Serenity Candels by Jan - ??? for a one time hard core corporate woman, she really has that old school hippie vibe. Which leads me to...
  • Hunter the Assistant's CD? Wow. Jan has some moves and she loves her some Hunter. Pretty sure that the song was written about Jan.
  • Michael's 19 inch plasma screen TV. Really funny. And when Jan threw the dundie into the TV, i gasped out loud.

What did you think?

Next Week on "The Office"

NIGHT OUT 9/8c TV-PG 04.24.2008
Michael's (Steve Carell) fascination with a woman modeling a chair in an office supply catalog makes him feel things he hasn't felt in a while. With Michael distracted, Kevin (Brian Baumgartner) and Andy (Ed Helms) team up to win back Dunder Mifflin's stolen parking spaces, forcing them into a showdown with the bosses of the five businesses of the office park. Rainn Wilson, John Krasinski, Jenna Fischer, Oscar Nunez, Angela Kinsey, Phyllis Smith, Mindy Kaling, Leslie David Baker, Melora Hardin, Kate Flannery and Creed Bratton also star.

5 comments:

Greg said...

I agree with you Heather. It was weird only seeing Kevin, Stanley, Meredith, Phyllis, and the rest of the office staff in the very beginning.
It was definitely interesting insight into Jan and Michael's relationship. I thought it was a nice touch to see the video camera set up in the bedroom after Michael's confession last season during "Women's Appreciation". But I do agree Jan is crazy and Michael just needs to get out and quick.
I especially enjoyed the part when Angela totally smashes her ice cream cone against the door of Andy's car.

Next week is looking promising with some Kevin time. I can only imagine what kind of shenanigan's him and Andy are going to get into.

Al the Gal said...

First of all, I think this episode suffered unfairly from the advance buzz. There's no way it could live up to what we were expecting.

Second, while I agree about them needing to get those people all back in the office, this episode was originally conceived to take place right after "The Deposition," which takes place completely within the office environment. This dinner party was supposed to reflect the fallout between Michael and Jan after that deposition fiasco. I think it would have played better back in November, but is altered in tone because of it's new placement in the time-frame.

As for the episode itself, I thought it was pretty good. I would have loved to see more of the other Office-mates, but as usual, Jim and Pam's expressions cracked me up, I adored Jan and Michael's passive-agressive "Babe"'s, loved Jim being willing to ditch Pam just to get out of there, and the line about Michael having three vasectomies cracks me up, in a really sad way. I was cringing in horror throughout, but in a good way. It was funny and I thought it was well-written.

That said, I agree that I've seen Michael suffer in this relationship long enough and he needs to get out. Jan is clearly a loon and he is just punishing himself. I look forward to this week when hopefully the cast will all be there and some office shenanigans will be had. That's as it should be.

Heather said...

Oh my gosh! I totally forgot about when Jim tried to make an escape by saying that his apartment was flooded & he was going to leave Pam behind!! Classic how she busted him and ruined his plan!

Al the Gal said...

Yes, she knows him well. And was not going to let him get away with abandoning her!

Anonymous said...

Honestly, I thoroughly enjoyed this episode. Maybe it's because we've gone so long without a new show. It wasn't necessarily funnier than normal, but it made you feel A LOT more awkward than past episodes.

Hunter's song was definitely about Jan. Wow, she does have some great hippie moves (and butt slaps). And how about Dwight driving by his "babysitter" at the bus stop. Poor lady. I also found it pretty funny that everyone thinks Pam and Michael have dated.

Really though, an episode can't be that bad when it has Andy singing (to Hunter's song).