For whatever reason I always thought that the term "five hole" was a baseball term refering to the space between the thirdbaseman and the shortstop. I thought this because the position number for 3rd base is 5. It seemed reasonably logical to me, and I never heard anything else to make me think otherwise...so yeah, I'll admit it, that's what I thought it meant.
So tonight I'm watching SC with Zeb and Damon, and we're watching some hockey highlights and Zeb shouts out "Right in the old 5 hole!!!" Maybe I shouldn't have done this, but I started to call Zeb out and and try to tell him thats not what 5 hole means. (right now Zeb is trying to tell me that I probably shouldn't blog this and let the whole world know, like its something to be really ashamed about, and Damon is playing the theme song from Unsolved Mysteries on his cell phone) Anyway, we sort of argued about it and then I pulled out the old laptop to solve the debate with my old friend Google. Much to my dismay I was proven wrong. Turns out "5 Hole" is actually a hockey term used to describe when the ball goes between the goalie's legs. Exactly the context that Zeb used the term within. I hate when he's right.
No big deal right. Oops, somewhere along the way I misinterpreted a commonly used sports saying. But I do think I had good rationale. But nooooo, Zeb and Damon thought this was the funniest thing ever to occur. They spent about 5 minutes laughing their asses off and acting like I was the most stupid person alive. (As I type, Zeb continues to remind me that this is "ruining my credibility" and he even has the audacity to bring up and unfortunate softball experience from the old high school days after which I may, or may not, have been given the nickname "Stitch") So I'm putting it out there for you to weigh in on:
So tonight I'm watching SC with Zeb and Damon, and we're watching some hockey highlights and Zeb shouts out "Right in the old 5 hole!!!" Maybe I shouldn't have done this, but I started to call Zeb out and and try to tell him thats not what 5 hole means. (right now Zeb is trying to tell me that I probably shouldn't blog this and let the whole world know, like its something to be really ashamed about, and Damon is playing the theme song from Unsolved Mysteries on his cell phone) Anyway, we sort of argued about it and then I pulled out the old laptop to solve the debate with my old friend Google. Much to my dismay I was proven wrong. Turns out "5 Hole" is actually a hockey term used to describe when the ball goes between the goalie's legs. Exactly the context that Zeb used the term within. I hate when he's right.
No big deal right. Oops, somewhere along the way I misinterpreted a commonly used sports saying. But I do think I had good rationale. But nooooo, Zeb and Damon thought this was the funniest thing ever to occur. They spent about 5 minutes laughing their asses off and acting like I was the most stupid person alive. (As I type, Zeb continues to remind me that this is "ruining my credibility" and he even has the audacity to bring up and unfortunate softball experience from the old high school days after which I may, or may not, have been given the nickname "Stitch") So I'm putting it out there for you to weigh in on:
- Would you have known what the "5 hole" was?
- Even if you did know what the 5 hole was would you find it unbearably hilarious if you ran across another person who did not know what it was?
- Do you think that my reasoning is based upon sound logic?
Later: Damon reads over this blog on his blackberry and laughs to himself. When I ask him what he's laughing about (thinking hes laughing at something I had written,) He says, "Oh nothing, just reminicing about 20 minutes ago." They think they're so funny.
Also, Let it be known that Zeb finds question # 2 to be leading and "squewed" (I'm pretty sure thats a fancy term he picked up in his speech class) He requests that question # 2 be read as follows: "Even if you did know what the 5 hole was would you find it unbearably hilarious if you ran across another person with the same baseball knowledge as Heather who did not know what it was?"
6 comments:
Pretty amazing
I already know I am a complete sports neophyte compared to the three of you, so I would have assumed, without any context, that a five-hole referred to golf. Completely unimaginative. So I can't really judge you whatsoever. I don't think I would have gotten as far as the "3rd base is the #5 position..." logic.
However, fabulous story. I laughed pretty hard at this one. (The little asides from Zeb throughout are awesome!)
I was there and I laughed at it when I read it
Men and their holes!
You said it Melanie!
I'm with Gal in thinking it would be a reference to golf...
Post a Comment