Thursday, September 27, 2007

AL Cy Young Winner?

It might just be the fact that I live in a very biased house, but if you had asked me who I thought the front runner for the American League Cy Young Award is, I would have definitely said Josh Beckett. He's been a league leader in ERA and wins almost the entire season, he was the first to 20 wins, and he plays for the team that has had the best record in baseball for nearly the entire season. Today I was read an article that made a very convincing argument for C.C. Sabathia. Check it out below and let me know what you think?

Sabathia and Beckett are virtually inseparable in two important categories —earned-run average and baserunners allowed per nine innings.

However, with one start remaining for each, Sabathia has pitched nearly 40 more innings than Beckett, a difference of nearly 4.5 games. Sabathia's strikeout-to-walk ratio also is the best in the AL — and second-best in history by a left-handed pitcher. Beckett, meanwhile, benefits from the third-highest run support in the league, receiving more than a run per game more than Sabathia, who ranks 13th.

Beckett's 20 wins? Well, Sabathia has 18, and his total would be higher if the Indians hadn't gone 4-6 during a stretch in which he pitched six or more innings and allowed two earned runs or less in 10 straight starts.



No comments: