Thursday, August 16, 2007

You say Buffalo, I Say Bison

Okay, so we never really established what the hell the difference is between Buffalo and Bison, but I was pretty excited to get a chance to see these guys close up. Definitely my Yellowstone highlight.
This guy was only about 10 feet from my car door & making this gnarly snorting sound....kind of the way Zeb sounds when he snores.
We came around the corner of a tiny two lane road, and there this guy was trucking down the other side of the road.
So what do you think? Are they Buffalo or Bison?


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

According to Wikipedia, the correct nomenclature is bison. Buffalo should only be used to refer to a water buffalo or an African buffalo. Therefore, any large, furry beast with horns and a shaved ass found in America should be called a bison.

Heather said...

Wow. Don't bias my survey or anything. Thanks a lot.

Damon said...

Tatanka

Anonymous said...

I'm with Damon.

Heather said...

Shoot. I would add that option, however you can't add an option once the poll has already started. Boo.

Greg said...

Leave it to Laef to bust out Wikipedia as a reference! Rick would be proud!

Heather said...

Very proud indeed.

This poll is just hit for hit. I'm starting to think that we are never going to fully clear up this debate.

Anonymous said...

One more tidbit to add to the debate:

Last night as I was going through our pictures from Yellowstone, I found one of a sign that referred to the animal in question as Bison. Hmm...

My votes still with Tatanka.